Thursday, January 18, 2018

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook I enjoyed was the Tragic Stories Featuring Yakshas storybook.  I am not at all familiar with Indian Epics and stories so all of these stories are new and kind of exciting to me.  I think the introduction to these stories does a good job setting up what Yakshas are and what they can do, so you can understand the proceeding stories a little bit better.  The layout of the page is nice, but I would have gone with something that adds a few more images and elements of the stories.  I don't like the navigation bars at the top.  I think those would be better on a sidebar or a drop-down menu.

The second storybook I liked was Jatakas and Justice storybook.  I really liked how this one was written in the first person as Yama, the god of death.  It turns the stories into a more reflective third person account of how these animals and people live by Dharma and what can be learned from them.  As far as layout, I don't like the bar at the top for navigation and I'd still prefer one to the side or in a drop-down.  What I really liked about the layout of this blog however, was the big images included for each story and elsewhere.  They were nice to look at and gave a good image to have in your head while reading the stories.

Yama, god of death, guarding the underworld.  Taken from the Jatakas and Justice storybook. Source: Law Image.

The third storybook I liked was Ali's Stories of the Wild West. I really liked how this storybook was written in a wild west setting.  Westerns are one of my favorite types of movies and the story of Wyatt Earp in Tombstone is by far my favorite, so I'm happy they chose that location to tell their stories.  I liked the layout of the top of the blog for the titles of each page because the words are big, bold, and underlined which makes it all pop.  I still don't like the navigation of these pages, but I am wondering if it is just a limitation of the website.   I also don't like how this person put the pictures at the bottom of every page and think it would be better to include them in the story at the top or in-between paragraphs

No comments:

Post a Comment