Thursday, February 1, 2018

Week 3 Story: Rama the CoD God


A picture of Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana because I couldn't find any free use material that related directly to this story.  Source: Wikimedia
It was an average day for forest life.   A few obstacles here and there, but nothing Rama could not handle.  He was very powerful and could best tasks even the most stout men had trouble with with relative ease.  He had become even stronger than when he had first been exiled many years ago by his father Dasharatha.  He lead his life in exile with his wife and his brother tackling whatever challenges came their way, but it was he who carried a majority of the workload, for he was much stronger than his brother.  One day a beautiful woman appeared before Rama and spoke to him.  

She said, "Rama you're a pretty good looking fellow, you should let me eat you wife and brother so we can live together forever."

Rama taken aback by her request laughs in her face seeing her for the evil hag she really is.  This woman was Shurpanakha, a shapeshifting Rakshasa who's true form was more hideous than one could imagine.  Shurpanakha can't handle rejection so in a fit of rage she attacks Rama's wife.  Rama's brother quickly counters her attack driving her back into the forest.  Humiliated and ashamed she returns to her brother Khara to plea for help.  Khara is outraged by the perceived assault on his innocent sister, so he makes plans to challenge Rama to one on one combat.  

A few days later Rama is out and about in the forest when he comes upon Khara sitting in a clearing waiting for him to arrive.  Rama asks what Khara is doing and what he wants.  Khara angrily shouts about Rama's assault on his siter Shurpanakha and that he was challenging Rama to a duel.

Rama agrees to the duel and asks, "what are the terms of this battle and where do we fight it?'

Khara replied simply, "that's easy, 1v1 me Rust bro"

Rama was shocked at the challenge.  He had bested many beasts physically but he hadn't played video-games or Call of Duty on his xbox in a long time.  He wasn't even sure if he remembered the controls.  But, never wanting to back down from a challenge, he accepted Khara's terms. He sat down next to Khara in front of the TV and xbox setup Khara had somehow gotten to work in a forest without electrical power for miles.  Rama had many weapons to choose from, but he went with the one he had the most experience with, the sniper rifle.  While Khara, being a little disrespectful and really wanting to win, chose a shotgun, which was preferable on a small map like Rust.  The game started and all of Rama's past experience came back to him, he remembered everything and moved and shot with the fluidity of a pro.  He dodged and countered Khara's every move and quick-scoped him into oblivion.

At the end of it all Khara was humiliated and Rama only had one thing to say, which was, "EZ PZ get gud scrub."

He had been bested by Rama at a game he thought he was the best at, which he couldn't handle, so he ran off into the forest never to be seen again.  
  
Author's Note:  I decided to tell this story relatively the same until the fight where I insert a lot of stuff that probably doesn't make any sense if you didn't play the videogame Call of Duty in the period between 2007 and 2010.  It has a lot to do with gaming culture in that timeframe centered around that game so I apologize if none of it made any sense.  Basically when someone got angry at someone in an online match, this kind of challenge is what might result.  It was fun to write and I thought I'd just kind of wing it on this one and this is what I got :).

Bibliography:
Battle with Khara Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie
Lakshmana and Shurpanakha Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie

3 comments:

  1. Hello again Dave! I read your story and I really thought it was funny how you made them battle by having a video game competition. It was really easy to read this story because of how modern it was. I also liked how the paragraphs were broken up. It made reading the story less overwhelming. Your story made a lot of sense in my opinion. I think I may have saw some spelling errors though but other than that your story is really good! The way you explained the weapons is really creative. Rama had a lot of different weapons just like in a video game! I also like the background of your blog's page! Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading your other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave! Having read the title of the story I knew that there must have been some wonderful culture references to show up in the story. One of the things that got me the most was how sharp and fitting the transition was. One moment I was reading the Ramayana, and the next I was in a CoD 1v1 flame war. As is tradition, the one who demanded the 1v1 ends up losing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey David. I read many stories about Rama in my previous mythology class at OCCC. I like that you used an old story and mixed it with modern activities. What I want to know is did Rama 360 no scope? I do not know how many kids do that to me on CoD. I would have said gg instead of get gud. :) That is gaming talk of course. I enjoyed your story. In the author's note, video game is one word and it needs to be two.

    ReplyDelete